Follow me in the fight to get my healthy life under control and the fight to get fit!

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Needing to dig deep

I had an interesting conversation last night with some family members regarding Weight Watchers and other weight loss programs. Weight Watchers has been the only thing that has ever really worked for me and I am not much of a supporter of other weight loss programs. Although, I do support the fact that different things work for different people. The most important thing regarding weight loss is eating better and moving your body. Last night, my eyes were opened to something that I NEVER realized, something that Weight Watchers is not doing for me. 

As a Weight Watcher, I am able to eat when I am hungry no matter how many points I have left for the day due to the fact that most fruits and veggies are zero points. That is one of my favorite things about WW. However, THIS DOES NOT FIX MY PROBLEM. I am a good healthy eater, most of the time. But, I have now realized that my addiction is food. I like to eat and I like to eat all day long. Whether I am eating healthy foods or not, I want to eat all the time. This is an issue that is deeper than WW. It is not often that I feel totally fulfilled after eating and I know this is more of a psychological issue that I need to deal with. Luckily, I have the support of my WW friends to discuss and talk through all of this with. Trust me, I am not bringing down WW nor leaving the program. I just totally had that "AH HA!" moment when making this realization.

Yesterday, I told my sister in law that my goal this week was to get "sweat time" in everyday this week. I am adding a new goal this week to be aware of when I am eating and why I am eating. 

I was never deprived of food, I never had to eat every single crumb, I never had any pressure with food. So, why do I struggle with it? How can I dig deep enough into myself to determine what the cause of my obesity is? Honestly, I snicker to myself when people say "oh, I eat when I am sad" or "I eat when I am stressed". I say that I snicker because when I think about myself....I eat because I LOVE FOOD. I love the taste, I love the smell, I love the texture, I love the way it makes me feel. Until a binge is over, then I feel disgust, sadness, depression.

Weight gain and loss is not just about food and control. It is about you and me. It is our deepest and darkest friend and enemy.

I challenge you to think about why you struggle and how you can take small steps to a better and more healthy life.

Anyway, I am off for a walk! Check in with me on "MapMyRun" to make sure I am out there :)

No comments:

Post a Comment